|BRIG GEN PAUL T "PJ" JOHNSON|
Brig. Gen. Paul T. Johnson is the commander of the 355th Fighter Wing, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz. He is responsible for one of the largest installations and flying operations in the United States Air Force, with more than 6,700 Airmen, 3,200 civilians, and over 100 aircraft. He serves as the senior officer responsible for organizing, training, and equipping a 22-squadron wing including three fighter squadrons. The 355th Fighter Wing provides A-10 close air support, OA-10 forward air control, combat support forces, and medical forces to combatant commanders worldwide. The 355th Fighter Wing also provides flying training to all active duty Air Force A-10 pilots.
General Johnson entered the Air Force in May 1985 after receiving his commission from Officer Training School, Lackland AFB, Texas. He is a graduate of the USAF Fighter Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev., and a former instructor. He is a fully qualified Joint Specialty Officer having served in the Operations Directorate at U.S. European Command, Stuttgart, Germany. He also served as an Air War College professor in the Department of Strategy and International Security and as a squadron commander. General Johnson has flown missions in support of Operations Desert Storm, Northern Watch and Enduring Freedom. He is a command pilot with more than 2,500 hours in the A-10 attack aircraft and served as commander of the 75th Fighter Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C., and the 354th Operations Group, Eielson AFB, Alaska.
1980 Bachelor of Science, Murray State University, Ky.
1990 USAF Fighter Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
1996 US Army Command and General Staff College, Leavenworth, Kan.
1996 Master of Military Arts and Sciences, US Army, Leavenworth, Kan.
1997 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2003 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Seminar XXI, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
1. June 1985 - June 1986, Student, Under Graduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. February 1987 - September 1991, Pilot, Instructor Pilot, Squadron Safety Officer, Squadron Weapons Officer, 353rd Fighter Squadron, Myrtle Beach AFB, S.C.
3. January 1991 - March 1991, Operation DS, King Fahd Air Base, Saudi Arabia
4. October 1991 - June 1995, Instructor Pilot, USAF Fighter Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
5. July 1995 - June 1996, Student, US Army Command and General Staff College, Leavenworth, Kan.
6. June 1996 - June 1999, Action Officer, Operation NW Desk Officer, Senior Watch Officer, J-3, Headquarters European Command, Stuttgart, Germany
7. July 1999 - September 1999, A-10 Re-qualification Training, Barksdale AFB, La.
8. September 1999 - April 2000, Chief of Safety, 23rd Fighter Group, Pope AFB, N.C.
9. April 2000 - April 2002, Operations Officer and Commander, 75th Fighter Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
10. August 2002 - June 2003, Student Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. June 2003 - July 2004, Faculty Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. July 2004 - July 2006, Commander, 354th Operations Group, Eielson AFB, Alaska
13. July 2006 - March 2007, Director for Colonels Management, Air Force Colonels Management Office, Washington, D.C.
14. March 2007 - July 2008, Executive Officer to USAF Vice Chief of Staff
15. July 2008 - Present, Commander, 355th Fighter Wing, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 2,500
Aircraft flown: A-10
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Air Force Cross
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant - May 1985
First Lieutenant - May 1987
Captain - May 1989
Major - December 1995
Lieutenant Colonel - September 1998
Colonel - June 2004
Brig Gen - August 2009
(Current as of August 2009)