Collapse All Expand All

Can I buy a plane or part from AMARG?

Unfortunately AMARG cannot sell or donate aircraft for two reasons: government rules on sales and donation of government property do not permit such direct sales, and AMARG does not actually "own" the aircraft and aerospace vehicles stored at the Center. Ownership remains with the delivering military service or government agency, with AMARG functioning as a property manager. 

When the services/agencies determine that their aircraft are of no further value, they direct AMARG to prepare them for disposal and then transfer them to the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office's (DRMO) Central Demil Center-Tucson (CDC-T), which then sells them at government auction. 

Preparation for disposal includes removal of military components, removal and disposal of hazardous materials, in some cases reclamation of specified metals, and catastrophic damage to the aircraft to preclude flight (on combatant types such as the F-14). The latter can range from smashing wings/fuselages to total demolition leaving only chunks of material the size of an old silver dollar. 

Although AMARG cannot sell or donate an aircraft, there are some alternatives that you might wish to pursue. If your interest is in terms of salvageable metals from aircraft, you may wish to visit DRMO's auction websites. These sites list both aircraft and aircraft parts that are available for bid in the auction process. They also describe how to submit a bid, what's required for payment, and so on. 

Visit these sites for more details: 

Please contact the 309 AMARG Public Affairs Office should you require additional information.  You can e-mail them here or call them at (520) 228-8970.


Can I tour AMARC?

The Arizona Aerospace Foundation, which also operates the Pima Air and Space and Titan Missile Museums , conducts weekday tours of the Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Center (AMARC), where the aircraft are stored. For more information on tour schedules contact the Pima Air and Space Museum at (520) 574-0462 or visit the PIMA Air Museum website.

How can I contact military personnel?

The Air Force can locate active duty personnel, as well as retirees, reservists and guardsmen. This information is not available for those who have separated from the Air Force or are Army Air Corps retirees. Information on individuals stationed overseas or in a sensitive position will not be released. However, the locator service will forward mail to that person for up to 90 days, as long as the correct postage is on the envelope and any required fee has been paid. Parents, spouses, and government officials may call (210) 565-2660. If you need to contact a military member for emergency purposes, please call your local Red Cross chapter. Use operator assistance if necessary, or you may also find your local Red Cross chapter telephone number by visiting the American Red Cross, and entering your zip code in the Find Your Local Red Cross section. Air Force Worldwide Locator AFPC /MSIMDL 550 C Street West Suite 50 Randolph AFB TX 78150-4752 



Is there a central email directory for Air Force people?

There is no central email directory for Air Force people.

How do I go about getting government surplus equipment?

You need to contact the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service (DRMS). This agency sells surplus government property. The DRMS can be contacted at: DRMS Public Affairs, 74 N. Washington Ave. 
Battle Creek, MI 49017, Phone: (616) 961-7015. 
Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service

Where can I obtain more information about TRICARE, the military healthcare system?

Visit the Department of Defense TRICARE Web site here.

Where can I find information about veterans' benefits online?

Visit the Department of Veterans Affairs Web site here.


If your question relates specifically to Davis-Monthan AFB, please see the questions below. If you have a question which is not addressed here, you may find the answer by visiting the Questions page of Air Combat Command, or the Questions page of the U.S. Air Force. For general military questions, please refer to the Department of Defense's FAQs page.