TINKER AIR FORCE BASE, Oklahoma --
During the months of May and June, AF Civilian Health Promotion Services (CHPS) is encouraging the workforce to improve their overall health by increasing physical activity: Spring Into Shape.
When you think of exercise what comes to mind? Unfortunately, most adults do not have positive thoughts on exercise. We know physical activity is important for maintaining a healthy lifestyle, yet still fall short on the daily recommendations. Working in the health field, we hear all the common barriers: “I don’t have time”, “I don’t feel motivated”, or “I don’t enjoy exercise”. While everyone’s barrier may be different, there is a common trend of exercise being linked to feelings of guilt to not be active enough. Today, exercise is viewed as a chore like washing dishes or doing laundry, and mindset does not increase the likelihood of sticking to a consistent routine.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that less than one-quarter of Americans are meeting the minimum amount of exercise to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
How do we change this? By changing our attitude towards exercise!
By definition, exercise is planned, structured, and repetitive but what if we shifted to exercise is moving our body. The goal of the CHPS Spring Into Shape challenge is not only to increase physical activity but to encourage participants to change their mindset towards exercise. Let’s shift our focus from what we feel obligated to do, to what we enjoy doing.
Now when asked the question, “What comes to mind when you think of exercise?” instead of feeling guilty and defeated, you are flooded with positive thoughts like:
- “I love my intermural basketball league; I forgot how much I enjoyed playing sports”
- “My walk on my lunch break is my favorite time to gather my thoughts and reflect”
- “I met new friends in my group exercise class; they motivate me to keep going”
- “My spouse and I decided to sign up for salsa class”
- “I enjoy seeing how excited the kids get about our evening walks with the dogs”
- “My co-worker and I started an office step challenge”
This positive mindset can not only impact your health journey, but also the journey of those around you. Let your new mindset spread to family, friends, and co-workers so together we change the statistics on exercise. Remember to look for little opportunities to move more throughout the day and watch as it adds up. Join CHPS for the Spring Into Shape challenge and attend the ‘Get Up and Get Moving’ health education class for more tips on how to add variety and fun to your workout routine.
To participate in the Spring Into Shape Physical Activity Challenge:
- Visit USAFwellness.com to enroll from April 17-28, 2023.
- Print your Spring Into Shape confirmation email and complete an in-person initial check-in with CHPS between April 17-28 to receive the Water Bottle enrollment award.
- Perform and log at least 750 minutes (12.50 hours) of physical activity from May 1 - Jun 11 on the USAFwellness.com Activity Log.
- Attend the Spring Into Shape class with CHPS titled, “Get Up and Get Moving” from May 1 - Jun 09. In-person and virtual sessions available.
- Attend an in-person check-out event with CHPS from June 20 - June 30 to receive your Gym Towel completion award.
For more information on healthy lifestyles and physical activity programs, visit USAFwellness.com or visit your local CHPS office.