Published January 15, 2019
The Davis-Monthan AFB Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Office is gearing up for the next tax season. DMAFB VITA volunteers are trained and certified by the IRS to prepare a variety of returns for our military community. This is a free service for any Active Duty, dependents (with military ID), National Guard, Reserve, Public Health, and Military Retiree with access to the base. The appointment line will open 14 January 2019 from 0830 – 1500. In addition, we will have a sign-up table in the BX atrium the week of 14 January to schedule appointments. Appointments will start on 21 January 2019. Retiree 1099Rs will be available on-line on 17 December 2018 and Air Force Active Duty W-2s will be available on My Pay on 22 January 2019. Walk-ins are accepted only if there is a vacancy when you come in the door and you have all of your tax paperwork.
Appointment Phone # is 228-3489
Key paperwork to bring to your appointment is:
• Government / Military ID for Taxpayer and Spouse (not required for dependents unless we are doing a return for them)
• Social Security Number (SSN) Cards for everyone who is listed on the return -- MANDATORY PER THE IRS
Preparers are required by the IRS to verify SSN Cards for each person listed on a return each year even if we have prepared your return previously. You will have to reschedule your appointment if you do not have SSN's for everyone on the return. If you have a dependent who is away at school and they have their card with them bring a photo copy or picture on your smart phone of their card to the appointment. A photocopy of all SSN cards in the return is acceptable.
Accepted alternatives for the SSN Cards are: Military ID Card that has the SSN on it, Medicare Card Part A (as long as you haven't been issued the new card that removed your SSN) or Social Security Benefits Statement with your SSN on it.
NOTE: You can get a new card at the Social Security Office located at the following locations:
• 88 W 38th St, Suite 100
• 3808 N 1st Ave
• Contact phone number is 1-800-772-1213.
• Last year’s Federal and State Tax Returns
• All Tax Forms (W-2s, 1099's, 1098's, etc)
• Account Information for Direct Deposit (Institution, Account #, and Routing #)
- A blank check has this information; do not bring a deposit slip as the routing number on the deposit slip is different.
- Due to changes in account/routing numbers by banks we will not use the same numbers that are on last year's return.